Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lucky's lucky day....or not so lucky...you decide!

Last Thursday my worst fear was realized. I was out salting the sidewalk and the dogs were outside with me. There was a lot of snow on the ground and so the dogs saw a squirrel across the road and went running for it. I called and called for them but they had one thing on their mind....

They made it across and started up the hill, so I ran for the house to get the bag of treats. (they usually come running for the treats!) Once I was outside I could hear a car coming. I yelled and yelled for the dogs and I ran for the road.....

The van was coming...I could see it. Charlie was on the edge of the road and the van slowed down and let him cross. Lucky was up further on the hill, and because he is white and it was snowy, the van didn't see him. Once the van sped up, Lucky ran for home.
It was the worst thing that I have ever seen or heard...Lucky went under the van and I screamed so loud. And I do mean loud. The van slowed down but kept going....jerks....Lucky was laying on the road, and I ran for the house to grab the phone. I called Kurt and I was screaming like a crazy woman. I told him he had to come home. I ran back out and Lucky was gone. I looked in the ditch and he wasn't there.....I freaked. I called Kurt again. "He is gone! I can't find him! Come home! Come home!"

I ran back out and I found the dogs in the barn. I brought in Lucky and Charlie followed us. I layed him on the couch. All this time I am sobbing and screaming. I just lost my dad, and my feelings were raw and I couldn't stand to loose my best dog too.

I look out the window and I see the neighbors. They had heard the screaming and they thought that I had been hit by the car. I told them that I was OK, but that they hit my dog. They offered to call the vet, but I told her that Kurt was on his way home.

Lucky was awake and alert and his head had a cut. His fur was coming off at the cut site. He heard Kurt come in and he jumped off of the couch to greet him. Kurt's mouth hit the ground. He was not expecting him to be alive let alone to see him jumping around!
He got him up on his lap and he checked all of his bones and joints and everything seemed ok. He let him down and he was running and jumping like there was nothing wrong.

I was still crying and Kurt was like "He is alive! He is right here! Why are you still crying??" But the emotions of the last weeks, and the sound of him getting hit were still in my mind, and I couldn't stop crying. He held me and I held Lucky until I stopped crying.
It was a crazy crazy day. So you decide....Was he Lucky that he got hit and lived? Or was he unLucky that he was hit in the first place??
I am so thankful that my dog is alive.
TTFN....Martha

1 comment:

Sara Hurt (Biese) said...

I'm so happy Lucky is ok! I have a Lucky too and hope if anything happens to her, she is "lucky" as well!